APWA Urges Congress to Invest in Infrastructure for COVID-19 Recovery
- On June 9, APWA sent a letter to Congressional leadership urging broad infrastructure investment be included in the next COVID-19 legislative recovery package;
- Specifically, and in alignment with APWA’s 116th Congress Public Policy Priorities, APWA calls for:
- The enactment of a new surface transportation law before the current one expires on September 30, 2020;
- Federal assistance to help with costs incurred due to moratoriums on water service disconnections, and low, or no-interest loans to help utility operators;
- Additional funding to the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) Disaster Relief Fund (DRF), and more FEMA Grant money to assist state and local governments in their efforts to combat COVID-19.
- The letter also urges Congress to provide $500 billion over two years to state and local governments, and increased flexibility with no exclusions based on population.